Summer Camp Frequently Asked Questions
Asbury Woods offers a variety of summer camp options for children from preschool to 12th grade. Providing each child with a positive and educational camp experience is our primary goal. The questions below are ones that parents often have about our camps, but if you do not see an answer to your question, give us a call at (814) 835-5356.
When does camp begin and end?
- Nature's Playground camp is for ages 4 - 6 years old and runs Monday through Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Every full-day camp for children entering 1st through 8th grade run Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Extended Care is offered to all full-day camp offerings and runs 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. for an added fee of $40, which can be added to the transaction when registering for camp.
What to wear, what to bring?
- All campers attending half-day and full-day programs are provided a daily snack.
- Campers attending full-day programs need a packed lunch each day except Friday.
- All campers should bring a water bottle daily.
- Closed-toe shoes are required. Clothes that can get wet, dirty, muddy and worn in all kinds of weather.
- Insect repellent and sunscreen: please apply at home before you come to camp, campers are allowed to re-apply these items themselves. Staff are not permitted to apply sunscreen or insect spray to campers.
- Labeled medications with instructions (medication form and Waiver are required).
- Devices, electronics, smart phones, and toys from home must be stowed in a backpack during the camp day. Their use is permitted during extended care only.
Can I still register if the session I want for my child filled?
With our new online registration system, you will be able to see if a session has been filled. When a session is marked as filled, we are not able to accept additional campers for that session. Thank you for your understanding.
Online camp registrations must be completed 24 hours in advance of the start of the session. Online registration automatically closes after this deadline.
How old does my child need to be to attend camp?
Children must have reached the age of 4 by the start of camp to attend Nature's Playground half-day program. Campers must have completed Kindergarten to attend full day programs. All children must be potty-trained at the start of camp and able to use the restroom without assistance.
What to do during inclement weather?
Camp activities are held rain or shine. In case of severe weather, outdoor activities will be moved inside. If there is severe weather is anticipated on Buttermilk Falls trips, this activity will be moved to another day.
How many campers are under the supervision of a single adult?
For our preschool camps, we maintain a ratio of one adult for every ten campers. For our camps offered to school-aged children, we maintain a ratio of one adult for every fourteen campers. All camp staff are adults, are professionally trained, and certified in CPR and first aid.
Do you accept students with disabilities into your summer camp program?
We strive to be inclusive as possible of all campers, within the capacity of our staff and facilities. We are happy to discuss accommodations that your child would need in order to participate in summer camp activities. We encourage parents of a child with a disability to contact us prior to enrolling in camp to discuss their child's specific needs. Regardless of disability or impairment, all children are expected to abide by our Positive Behavior Plan in order to ensure the safety of all campers and to create positive experience for all.
Asbury Woods Summer Camp Policies
Required prior to camp:
- Payment must be made in full and camp registration complete to secure camp placement. Supplemental forms must be received 7 days before camp begins.
- Children must have reached the age of 4 by the start of camp to attend a half-day program. Campers must have completed Kindergarten to attend full day programs.
- We are able provide reasonable accommodations within the scope of our program, resources, and staff training. We reserve the right to decline registration when our expertise cannot accommodate your child’s needs.
- If there is 50% or fewer registrations for any week of camp, Asbury Woods reserves the right to cancel or reschedule that session.
- Four weeks of camp per child is recommended for a positive experience for all. Registration is determined by receipt of payment. Online payments are received at the point of sale.
- Discount applies to regular memberships paid through August 2019. You can easily become a member or renew when registering for camp at asburywoods.org/camp. When starting the registration process please select MEMBER PRICING. You will have the option to add the membership or renewal to the cart during the registration process.
Cancellation and Refunds
- You may cancel your registration up to 3 weeks before the start of the camp in which your child is enrolled. You will receive a refund minus a $25 administrative fee. Cancellations received less than 3 weeks prior to the first day of the camp session will not be refunded and converted to charitable donations.
- Campers who fail to abide by Positive Behavior Plan may be removed from camp without refund at the discretion of the Camp Director.
To discuss any concerns I may have about my child’s ability to participate in camp activities, who should I contact?
Please contact Kelley Lang, Director of Education and Community Programs, by email or call (814) 836-6178.