Nature Camp Counselor
Asbury Woods is seeking individuals to fill two full-time/seasonal positions as Nature Camp Counselors. Individuals must be engaging and creative and enjoy working with children in an outdoor setting.
Nature Camp Counselors lead a variety of nature-based exploration activities, games, hikes, science experiments, with the goal of creating fun experiences for campers that motivate them to explore nature. Asbury Woods provides weeklong day camp programs for children ages 6 -11. The work schedule for this position is Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Asbury Woods follows all applicable COVID-19 safety procedures for staff and campers.
This position includes direct supervision of children. The following clearances are required to be submitted as part of the application process:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- FBI Criminal History Background Check
Instructions for obtaining clearances as an employee can be found at: http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/resources/clearances/index.htm
To apply please email a cover letter and resume and contact information for three references, along with copies of the clearances listed above to Jessica Stefano firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only complete submissions that include proof of current clearances and received electronically will be considered.
Selected candidate(s) will be required to complete the following training as part of their employment:
- Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training
- Child and Adult First Aid and CPR
- American Red Cross Anaphylaxis and Epinephrine Auto-Injector Training
Terms of Employment:
- Seasonal position/full time (40 hrs/wk) Pay rate: $10/hr
- Start date: June 1, 2021 End date: August 24, 2021
These are preferred start and end dates. Some flexibility may be extended to accommodate the availability of selected candidates. Nature Camp is not in session the week of July 5- 9. This an upaid week off for the nature camp counselors.
- Individuals who are working towards or have obtained a Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science, education, special education or related field.
- Experience working with children ages 6 -11 in a formal classroom setting or informal setting including day camps, youth programs, sports, etc.
- Background or strong interest in science, nature, or outdoor recreation.
- Must complete a first aid, CPR and anaphylaxis and epinephrine auto-injector trainings.
- State and federal background checks are required for this position.
Reports to: Assistant Director of Education and Community Programs
- Implement an age appropriate day camp program for children ages 6 -11, including preparing materials, leading activities from the established camp curriculum.
- Supervise up to 14 day campers including maintaining a safe and positive learning environment, maintaining attendance records, and communicating with parents daily.
- Maintain supplies needed for day camp programs.
- Maintain cleanliness and of classroom spaces and equipment used by campers.
- Provides leadership and guidance to a camp assistant.
- Work with other volunteers, staff and interns in presenting day camp programs.