The Asbury Woods Partnership in Erie, PA seeks applications for its Executive Director with a projected start date of to 1 November 2017. The successful candidate will work with the Board of Directors and staff to manage the 205-acre property and nature center at Asbury Woods and preserve its > 60-year history of providing members of the community in Erie County with meaningful environmental, educational, and recreational experiences. Primary responsibilities include strategic planning, staff development and supervision, financial management, fund raising, public relations, program development, site management, and evaluation.
The successful candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in organizational leadership, management from an accredited institution of higher education, natural sciences, education or related fields; Master’s degree in Business Administration, Organizational Leadership, or related discipline is a plus. In addition, successful candidates should have a minimum of 7 years of experience in the non-profit, for-profit, or educational sectors (or any combination thereof), and at least 2 years of experience in a leadership role. Also crucial is a dedication to the mission, vision, strategic thinking, and community dedication of a public nature center, as well as a professional demeanor, high level of initiative, and the energy to work effectively with an engaged board of directors. A proven track record of developing and mentoring key staff is also important. Experience in an educational setting as a teacher of natural science would be a plus, as well as knowledge of environmental issues, natural science, and native plants & animals in eastern deciduous forests of eastern North America.
Asbury Woods is a nature center and preserve in Erie, PA with 4.5 miles of hiking trails, education programs and numerous other activities and events such as skiing, mountain biking, birding, parties, and festivals. It has become a premier destination for environmental education, exploration, and outdoor recreation in northwest Pennsylvania. The Asbury Woods Partnership is governed by a 17-member volunteer board made up of members of the community that supports the Partnership's programming and capital needs with fundraising, advocacy, and long-range planning.
The organization offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a great working environment. Interested and qualified applicants should send a resume and cover letter as an email attachment to Kathleen Mosier at email@example.com no later than 6 September 2017.
Asbury Woods Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job title - Executive Director
Reports to - Board Chair of Asbury Woods Partnership Board of Directors
The Executive Director of the Asbury Woods Partnership is responsible for the Partnership's overall strategic direction, leadership and administration. Through guidance and approval from the Board, the Executive Director has broad authority to lead and govern the operations of the Partnership toward its mission, strategic goals and operations. Primary responsibilities include strategic planning, staff development and supervision, financial management, fund raising, public relations, program development, site management and evaluation.
Duties and responsibilities
Development and Marketing
This position has several special working conditions which include, regular evening and weekend work, working outdoors in varied weather, and working professionally with all members of the public, which includes people with disabilities. Security/background investigations required prior to start of employment.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT STATEMENT:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job functions of the Executive Director position (listed within Position Specifications) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case by case basis.
Physical Demands and Activities
1. Ability to remain in a stationary position at a desk for extended periods of time
2. Ability to teach in an indoor and outdoor class setting
3. Ability to lead nature hikes, including identifying varying aspects of nature in a dynamic natural environment
4. Moderate lifting from 15-50 pounds
5. Some carrying up to 50 pounds
6. Ability to use office equipment
7. Frequent and repetitive word processing on a computer
8. Frequent and repetitive use of a computer, including email and other input and retrieval
9. Ability to read and respond to written correspondence
10. Ability to complete a 5 mile hike
11. Manual dexterity to use hand tools and power tools
1. Ability to work as a member of a team
2. Must be courteous to public and co-workers
3. Must be cooperative, congenial, service oriented, and promote these qualities
4. Must be able to respond to directions and accept constructive feedback
5. Ability to work in an environment with frequent interruptions
6. Must be flexible and able to tolerate many situations and personalities
1. Ability to follow verbal and written directions
2. Ability to communicate clearly and distinctly with others on the telephone and in person
3. Ability to complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision
4. Ability to read, write, and do complex computations
5. Ability to use correct grammar, sentence structure, and spelling
6. Ability to compose clear, concise sentences and paragraphs
7. Ability to work independently and make work-related decisions
8. Ability to exercise good judgment in prioritizing tasks and problem solving
9. Ability to communicate effectively to the public
Asbury Woods Partnership
Personal and Professional Attributes: While relevant experience is important, personal and professional attributes have been proven to predict a higher degree of success in leadership positions.
Possesses the ability to perform the position of Executive Director as described in the job description for such position.
Click here for current openings.