Employment with Asbury Woods
We are currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Location: Asbury Woods, Erie PA
Date posted: 7/27/2018
Application Deadline: Open, until position is filled
The primary purpose of this position is to deliver environmental science curriculum to preK- 8th grade students, both through visits to the nature center and through outreach visits to schools. The instructional setting is primarily outdoors, and program delivery occurs at Asbury Woods and occasionally in traditional classrooms. This position also delivers community programs such as: summer camp, nature hikes, birthday parties, preschool nature classes and general audience programs. As part of the Education team, this position assists with the preparation for and delivery of special events throughout the year.
Full Position Description
- A college degree is required (completed or in progress). Prefered degrees include: environmental science, biology, natural sciences, education, special education, early childhood education or closely related fields.
- Some informal or formal teaching experience is preferred.
- Informal or formal teaching experience in outdoor settings is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills using MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain current clearances required by PA law and an FBI background check for a position that requires direct contact with children.
- A teaching certification is not required for this position, but pre-K through 8th grade certification(s) in related fields is a plus.
Reports to: Director of Education and Community Programs
Job goal: to ensure that environmental topics and STEM concepts are delivered to students in line with current curriculum and grade level standards that inspire a connection to and curiosity about the natural world.
School Program Delivery
- Teaching and program delivery in outdoor conditions and in traditional and non-traditional classrooms.
- Handling animals as part of the instruction and assisting with their care during the week.
- Assisting with scheduling school groups, arranging bussing schedules and communicating with classroom teachers.
- Assisting with daily preparation for student activities, including classroom set up and clean up.
- Maintaining classroom supplies, equipment and instructional resources.
- Planning for student safety during outdoor activities and maintaining student safety while at Asbury Woods.
- Assisting with updating of current lesson plans and integrating new instructional strategies as they are developed and added to the curriculum.
- Assisting with the delivery of community programs such as: summer camp, group visits, birthday parties, nature hikes, nature programs for general audiences and preschool nature classes.
- As part of the Education team, this position assists with the preparation for, delivery of, and clean-up following special events throughout the year.
- Other duties, as assigned by the Director of Education and Community Programs.
- Frequent walking and standing throughout various indoor and outdoor environments, year-round.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Heavy lifting from 15-50 pounds.
- Some carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity to use hand tools and power tools.
- Visual acuity to read correspondence and computer screen.
- Auditory acuity to be able to use a telephone.
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly.
- Indoor and outdoor environments, year round.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Must be courteous.
- Must be cooperative, service oriented, and promote these qualities at Asbury Woods.
- Ability to work an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to be flexible and able to work as part of a team in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must be able to accept constructive feedback.
- Must be able to demonstrate an inclusive approach to the practice of environmental education.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions.
- Ability to listen to others on the telephone and in person.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability read, write and do simple computations.
- Ability to use grammar, sentence structure and spelling
- Ability to compose clear, concise sentences and paragraphs.
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate work-related decisions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in prioritizing tasks and problem solving.
- Ability to communicate effectively to the public.
This position is evaluated by the Director of Education and Community Programs
Terms of employment: Hours: 30 hrs/week, year round. Typically Monday – Friday with occasional weekend and evening hours.
Full Position Description
Application Process: To apply for the environmental educator position, please email a cover letter and resume and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com. Only submissions received electronically will be considered.